Changes for Trash and Recycling Coming in 2024
Starting Jan. 1, 2024, Upper St. Clair, along with many other South Hills municipalities, will begin a new refuse and recycling contract with Waste Management (WM). Given the changes in the waste collection industry, there will be new requirements as to how much waste and recycling will be collected at curbside.
Below are some of the key highlights and changes that will go into effect at the beginning of next year:
- Normal refuse collection will be fully automated and trash outside of the cart will no longer be collected.
- Only one Township-issued trash cart and one recycling cart will be included in the regular contracted service.
- Waste Management will, however, collect an additional Waste Management stamped trash cart that was purchased before Jan. 1, 2024, for no extra fee, and/or an extra USC recycling cart (maroon lid) previously issued by the Township.
- If you anticipate your household needing more than one trash cart each week, and you do not already have an extra WM trash cart, you can purchase a second one directly from WM for a one-time fee ($95) before the end of the year. Additional trash carts purchased after Jan. 1, 2024, will be subject to the annually adjusted fee ($110 for 2024).
- If your household expects to use more than two trash carts, each cart after the second one will be subject to the annually adjusted fee paid directly to WM (whether it was purchased before or after Jan. 1, 2024).
- To purchase an additional trash cart from Waste Management, call 1-800-866-4460 or 855-852-7110. At the prompt, say SERVICE CHANGE. You will then be directed to an agent to place your order and pay for your cart.
- Your additional trash or recycling cart must also be registered with the Township by calling 412-831-9000 ext. 2710 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the type of extra cart your household is registering, name, address and phone number.
- Pictured below on the left (maroon lid) is the USC recycling cart, and on the right (black lid), is the USC trash cart that have been issued to each household.
- Please note that extra trash carts purchased through WM will look similar to the 96-gallon cart pictured below, although the color may be different.
- Up to two bulk items will be collected once per month on USC’s designated week for bulk item collection. Bulk items include, but are not limited to, mattresses, chairs, bicycles and other items too large to fit into your regular cart.
- Yard waste collection will remain relatively unchanged under the new contract. Leaf and yard debris should be placed at the curb in compostable paper bags during the scheduled curbside yard waste pickups, which will take place once in the spring and five times in the fall. The Township will also continue to accept leaf and yard waste at the Boyce Compost Site on Boyce Road, which is next to Ardolino’s, once per month, excluding January through March. See the Township’s calendar for exact dates.
- The Township will be ordering a number of 96-gallon recycling carts for households that may wish to upsize from the standard 65-gallon container.
- Glass will again be included in recycling, but the successful drop-off program at Village Square Mall will remain an option.
- Additional services, such as house cleanouts, disposal of construction materials, etc., will still be available directly through Waste Management for an additional fee.
- If you have large or bulk items around the house that you need to get rid of, the time to do that is now—or by the end of the year. Currently, you can put extra trash outside of the container and it will be picked up. Starting next year, extra items outside of the container will not be collected.
- You may want to consider purchasing a trash compactor to maximize your refuse container capacity.
- This could be a good time to consider using a mulching lawn mower. A mulching lawn mower redistributes fine-cut grass clippings back into your yard, removing the need for bagging and disposing of the clippings.
- Now and in the future, the Township recommends taking advantage of the drop-off glass recycling at Village Square Mall, which is available seven days a week in the blue recycling dumpster located at 5000 Oxford Drive. You can deposit glass bottles, jars, and jugs of all colors (no sorting required).
Information regarding the new refuse and recycling service, including the 2024 trash and recycling pickup schedule, will be posted on the Township’s website and mailed out before the end of the year.
Trash and Recycling Collection Important Contacts:
- Waste Management: 1.800.866.4460 or 855.852.7110 (to purchase a new trash cart)
- Call early in the morning for faster service
- USC Public Works Department: 412.831.9000 ext. 2710