Every year, the Upper St. Clair Police Department receives calls about coyote sightings within the Township of Upper St. Clair. Our surrounding communities also receive the same type of reports.
- Fear of humans is important for coyote survival.
- Don't feed other animals that coyotes prey upon. Birdseed often attracts these innocent animals to your backyard, which in turn attracts a coyote that is hungry.
- Although attacks on humans are extremely rare, parents need to speak to their children about what to do if they encounter a coyote.
- Coyotes are usually skittish around humans and typically try to avoid people whenever possible.
- Frighten coyotes with loud noises; DO NOT approach the animal.
- Keep garbage in a tightly sealed container.
- In your yard, remove pet food, fallen fruit, and spilled seed beneath bird feeders.
- Use yard lights or motion detectors to frighten them away.
- Keep pets in fenced areas or covered kennels.
- Stay with your pets while outdoors, unless pets are in a secure, covered kennel.
- Do not allow pets to run loose. Keep pets on a leash.