The Mission of the Library is to provide for the educational, informational, and recreational needs of the community.
As a local community library, we strive to:
- provide popular materials of current social and cultural interest for recreational purposes.
- provide informational resources on topics related to work, school & personal life.
- be a center for life-long learning, assisting and supporting literacy for all ages, and providing help using library technology.
The USC community will: Use books & materials, Share programs and activities, and Connect children with reading and everyone with a world of information
@ the Library
Left to right: Debra Conn, Head of Youth Services; Vanessa Ryzner, Circulation Coordinator; Helen Palascak, Library Director; Maureen Case, Head of Technical Services; Walker Evans, Programs & Outreach Services Librarian
The Library Board
The Library Board serves as Trustees for the Library Trust which operates in accordance with the Library Trust Agreement. The purpose of this charitable Trust is to accept donations and contributions to benefit the library.
Questions concerning the Trust should be directed to the Township Manager's office.
Robert G. Ontolchik, serving through 2019
Barbara Zimmt, serving through 2020
Joann Hockenberry, serving through 2021
Library Demographics Profile
Monday - Thursday 9:30 a.m. – 9 p.m.
Friday & Saturday
9:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
1 p.m. – 5 p.m.
Closed Summer Sundays
Accessibility contact for the Library: Mrs. Helen Palascak, Director of the Library at 412.831.9000, ext 247.
1820 McLaughlin Run Road Upper St. Clair, PA 15241
The Book Department of the Upper St. Clair Women's Club collected $300 and 2,500 books to establish Upper St. Clair's first library in 1957. The club members and their families cleaned and painted three small rooms on the second floor of Mitchell's Corners Shopping Center.
The library was called the Book Nook and it was truly a grass roots volunteer effort: club members catalogued all the books and took books home with them to apply a protective varnish to the covers. Some financial support came from membership fees, donations and an annual garden party hosted by the Women's Club. The bulk of the funding though, was provided by the Friends of the Library – which was also started in 1957. The Friends raised money for the Book Nook by holding card parties, selling calendars door-to-door throughout the Township and holding fundraisers at Little Lake Dinner Theatre.
In 1958, the Book Nook moved into the newly constructed Township building, though it was still a private library.
In July of 1967, the Women's club turned over control of the library to the Township, and the library became a public library, free to all Township residents. On April 1, 1968, the first paid staff members were hired.
The Commissioners allocated funds to renovate the "large front room" of the Township Building for the Library. In October 1968, three Upper St. Clair Boy Scout troops carried all the books from the old quarters to the new Upper St. Clair Township Library.
In 1985, the library officially became a department of the Township Municipal Government.
In March 1987, the Township library moved into the new three-story addition combined with the remodeled "old" Library facility.
1970-1986: Catherine Conley
1986-1993: Annette Kovic
1993-2008: Lois Hoop
2008-present: Helen Palascak
Based, in part, on an article in the May 1996 issue of UPPER ST. CLAIR TODAY.
ACLA & the Township of Upper St. ClairThe Allegheny County Library Association (ACLA) is a federated library system of 46 public libraries delivering service in more than 70 locations. Member Libraries include the Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh, which has 19 locations, and 45 other libraries and their branches located outside the City of Pittsburgh throughout Allegheny County. Each library is independent and has its own board of directors; as a consortium they share a countywide catalog, jointly offer downloadable books, audios, and videos as well as online databases, and provide a diverse calendar of programming events. Through its coordination, ACLA expands the resources of local libraries beyond what they could accomplish individually.
eiNetwork & the Township of Upper St. Clair Library
The eiNetwork (Electronic Information Network) provides libraries in Allegheny County with cost-effective, high-speed Internet access and specialized electronic databases. It also offers a shared library catalog of over 3.5 million items.
USC is a participating member of the eiNetwork County Library Catalog.
Items may be requested from any library in the county.
Your library card is valid in any library in the county.
Online Databases -- The eiNetwork offers access to valuable electronic information. Magazine articles, encyclopedias, business and health information, and a photo archive are available at all eiNetwork libraries. You have access to most of these databases from your home computer with Internet access.
Internet Access -- The eiNetwork has provided workstations in the library for patrons to access the Internet through a high-speed connection.
ARAD & the Township of Upper St. Clair Library
The Allegheny County Regional Assets District supports and finances regional assets in the areas of libraries, parks and recreation, cultural, sports and civic facilities and programs.
The Library, as a Department of the Township of Upper St. Clair Municipal Government, is supported primarily by the Township. Auxiliary funding from ARAD supplies additional resources in the areas of technology, materials, and furnishings.
Related LinksMore History:
USC Township History
USC Today Magazine
USC Historical Society
More Library links:
Allegheny County Public Libraries
Pennsylvania Commonwealth Libraries
Pennsylvania Public Library Code
American Library Association Library Bill of Rights
Freedom to Read statement
Freedom to View statement