The Township of Upper St. Clair Board of Commissioners issued an official proclamation congratulating the Upper St. Clair High School speech and debate team.
The 34-member team earned a second win in three years at the Pennsylvania High School Speech League (PHSSL) Championship. They placed first in the Sweepstakes Championship and second in the Debate Sweepstakes. Additionally, the team took home its second Cumulative Sweepstakes Award and Jeanne Lutz Award for continued excellence.
The members of the team include: Atharva Barve; Vivek Babu; Sunny Chai; Annika Chaves; Mayka Chaves; Claire Chen; Eshita Chhajlani; Brooke Christiansen; Antara Cleetus; Hashim Durrani; Devan Ekbote; Charlize Goff; Matt Hornak; Yash Jajoo; Mathena Jencka; Meghan Joon; Arushi Khaitan; Basir Khan; Shanthi Krishnaswamy; Suemin Lee; Dina Leyzarovich; Richa Mahajan; Mallika Matharu; Maddie Nolen; Neha Patel; Hridhay Reddy; Riwk Sen; Paarth Shankar; Ayush Sharma; Anika Sinha; Anoushka Sinha; Jami Stout; and Caroline Wolfe.
Special recognitions were made to the members who earned individual PHSSL Championships: Paarth Shankar in extemporaneous speaking; Riwk Sen in humorous interpretation; Hashim Durrani in dramatic interpretation; and the team of Devan Ekbote, Mathena Jencka and Anika Singha in parliamentary debate.
The team was under the direction of Mr. Ben Edwards, Mr. Dave Watson, Ms. Liz Barnes and Ms. Kate Shuey.
A total of nearly 100 schools attended the PHSSL Championship at Bloomberg University on March 16, 2019.
On behalf of the residents of Upper St. Clair, the Board commends and congratulates the entire team and coaching staff for an outstanding 2018-19 season. Commissioner Daniel R. Paoly presented the proclamation to the team at the May Board of Commissioners meeting. He had the team’s best spontaneous speaker, Antara Cleetus, read the proclamation for the audience.
- Township Of Upper St Clair
- New Upper St. Clair Commissioner Sworn In
- Part of Painters Run Road Reopens and Another Part Closes
- Upper St. Clair Board Recognizes Commissioner Logan
- Painters Run Road Closure on July 20
- Upper St. Clair Seeks New Commissioner
- Community and Recreation Center Reopens July 6
- Upper St. Clair Follows New ACHD Order and Cancels Activities of 25 or More
- West Penn Power Conducting 2020 Tree-Trimming Program
- Upper St. Clair Announces the Reopenings of Facilities
- Upper St. Clair and South Fayette Fireworks Display Postponed
USC Congratulates High School Speech and Debate Team
USC Administration - Monday, May 20, 2019