The Township of Upper St. Clair and other SHACOG (South Hills Council of Governments) communities must change our recycling habits. Starting Jan. 1, 2019, the following key changes go into effect:
1. Glass will no longer be allowed in the recycling collection. Glass runs hard on the machines and can jeopardize the quality of other good recyclables. Glass also has very low market value.
2. Make sure you are only recycling plastic bottles, jugs and jars. Any other plastic shape must go in the trash. In other words, only plastics #1 and #2 will be accepted. No plastics #3-#7.
3. No loose bottle caps will be accepted. Caps and lids must be attached to the recycled item. Otherwise, please place all caps and lids in the trash.
4. Shredded paper will no longer be accepted. Paper and cardboard will continue to be accepted.
5. Anything you recycle must be clean. Rinse all cans, containers and bottles. There is no mechanism to clean recyclables at the recycling facilities.
6. No plastic bags of any kind will be accepted. Please place material loose in your recycling bin.
Waste Management will begin spot checking containers at the curb in 2019. If a container is considered contaminated, it will be left behind as trash. In 2020, Waste Management will begin issuing fines to the Township.
Upper St. Clair residents are still be allowed to recycle paper, cardboard, aluminum, tin and plastics with the #1 or #2 on the bottom of the container.
Waste Management suggests the following, "When in doubt, throw it out." There are a number of people who place items in recycling bins that they hope can be recycled, when in fact the un-recyclable items contaminate other recyclables. The practice is called "wish-cycling" or "wishful recycling." Contaminated loads are turned away from recycling plants and go into landfills.
Visit www.RecycleOftenRecycleRight.com for more information. If you are looking to recycle an item that is no longer acceptable in your curbside collection program, visit www.Earth911.com.
- Township Of Upper St Clair
- Commissioners Declare Library Week in Upper St. Clair
- USC Commissioners Honor Stand-Out Wrestler
- A Number of 2019 Road Paving Projects Planned for Upper St. Clair
- Upper St. Clair Named 2019 Banner Community
- New Glass Recycling Option for Upper St. Clair
- USC Receives Highest Form of Recognition for Financial Reporting
- Community and Recreation Center Hosts MLK Day of Service
- Community & Recreation Center Gives Back
- No Tax Increase for Upper St. Clair Residents
- USC Recycling Changes: Frequently Asked Questions