Jon Wharton has worked his way through the ranks in the Township of Upper St. Clair and was sworn in Monday night as the new police chief.
Chief Wharton, an Upper St. Clair High School graduate, took his oath to serve and protect before a big crowd in the Board of Commissioners’ meeting room. The crowd included family, friends, the Upper St. Clair Board of Commissioners, and current and former police officers.
Chief Wharton, 48, joined the department 27 years ago. Former Upper St. Clair Police Chief and current Upper St. Clair Commissioner Ronald J. Pardini hired Wharton as a patrolman.
“It’s a great feeling to see someone develop into his full potential. He’s a fine young man, very community-oriented. He has all the necessary training and will be a very fine chief. I’m very proud of him,” said Commissioner Pardini.
Chief Wharton was the first patrolman Township Manager Matthew R. Serakowski promoted to sergeant. He also promoted Wharton from sergeant to lieutenant and now -- to chief.
“I have total confidence in Jon to serve as our Chief of Police. He has a proven record for commitment to the community and to the department,” said Township Manager Serakowski.
The Board of Commissioners’ President Mark D. Christie also has full trust in Chief Wharton.
“We think he’s a very qualified candidate. He will do a great job guiding the Township,” said Christie.
Chief Wharton kept his remarks short, recognizing the most influential people in his career. Chief Wharton thanked former Upper St. Clair Chiefs Pardini and Douglas Burkholder and police officers past and present for their leadership and guidance. He also thanked former and current commissioners and Township Manager Serakowski for believing in him. Lastly, Chief Wharton gave a heartfelt thank you to his family and wife, Lauren, who pinned him with his new chief stars.
“I vow to the citizens of the Township that I will fulfill this title to the best of my ability,” said Chief Wharton.
Chief Wharton takes over for former Chief Burkholder, who retired earlier this year.
Photo 1: Chief Jon Wharton was sworn in by the Honorable D. Michael Fisher
Photo 2: Chief Jon Wharton, Lauren Wharton, Township Manager Matthew R. Serakowski
Photo 3: Greg Wharton (20), Andrew Wharton (18), Chief Jon Wharton, Lauren Wharton, Eric Wharton (21)
Photo 4: Former Chief and current Commissioner Ronald J. Pardini and Chief Jon Wharton
Photo 5: The Upper St. Clair Police Department
- Township Of Upper St Clair
- Statement from Upper St. Clair Township and School District Leaders
- Part of Painters Run Road in Upper St. Clair to Close June 15
- Upper St. Clair Prepares to Move to the Green Phase
- Upper St. Clair Plans Limited Reopening Beginning Memorial Day Weekend
- Upper St. Clair Issues Proclamation for Emergency Medical Services Week
- May 6 Upper St. Clair COVID 19 Update
- USC Board of Commissioners to Have Regularly Scheduled Meeting on May 4
- PA Authorizes Construction Activities Starting May 1 and USC Extends Closures Through May 8
- Upper St. Clair Extends Closures Through April 30
- Upper St. Clair Community Day Canceled
New Upper St. Clair Police Chief Sworn In
USC Administration - Tuesday, August 28, 2018